Summer Job Opportunity

  • Must be a full-time student

Digital Communications Assistant

Start date: May 14th, 2018
End date: August 31st, 2018
Salary: $14/hr
Hours of Work: Monday through Friday 9:00-4:00. Some evening and weekend work required.

Position Information
This position will provide the student with an in depth introduction to the creation of social media messaging and content creation. Approximately 80% of this job will focus on digitization, research and creation of blog posts, Facebook posts, twitters posts, website content, and assisting with video and photography projects. The remaining 20% of the job will focus on assisting with the senior collections technician which will help inform their other roles and responsibilities.

Candidate Requirements

Education: the student for this position must have completed at least three years of study at the University level, preferably in Museum Studies, Education, History, or Communications, although related disciplines would be considered. Ideally, the candidate should be planning a career in the culture and heritage field.

Experience: Applicants who have the appropriate education plus some experience working in the museum/non-profit sector or with youth will be given preference.

Skills required: Computer – proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, excellent written and verbal communication skills, well-developed organizational abilities, attention to detail in work, proactive thinking, flexibility, enthusiasm, and willingness to learn and be challenged. Applicants with photographic knowledge are encouraged to apply.


Organization Information
YouthLink Calgary is an independent charitable organization that operates in partnership with the Calgary Police Service to make positive connections between the public and CPS, to prevent crime and victimization, and to keep our youth and city safe for life. The museum offers interactive exhibits and experiential programming for audiences of all ages on forensic science, the historic and present day stories of the Calgary Police Service, and Street Smarts (Gangs, Drugs, Healthy Relationships, Bullying, and Online Safety). Our offerings include grade six full day fieldtrips, public experience days on Fridays and Saturdays, summer camps in July and August, evening programs for Guides and Scouts, and special events for the community.

Application Process
Please submit your resume and cover letter to: Casey Corneil – ccorneil@calgarypolice.ca by April 13th, 2018. Please note that resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.

This position is funded through Young Canada Works. You are eligible to apply for this position if you:
• are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada; Note: Non-Canadian students holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible.
• are legally entitled to work in Canada;
• will be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
• are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
• will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with YCW;
• have been a full-time student (as defined by your educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW job;
• intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW job.

Thank you to all who apply, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.